[linux-elitists] Surveillance

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sun Sep 8 08:03:46 PDT 2013

begin Marc MERLIN quotation of Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 10:34:19PM -0700:
> On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 10:28:52PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> >
> > Ob. plug:  It's a good talk, what these people did to upgrade their
> > systems is a pretty amazing task given the size, complexity, and
> > contraints they were under.  Highly recommended.  So much so I think
> > I'll go sit through it again :)
>
> Oh, I didn't notice you were there the first time :)
>
> Please don't embarras me, I'm not sure it's good enough to see twice :)
> I wish I could go into the more interesting bits that I can't touch in a
> 40mn talk, but there just isn't enough time in that timeslot.

Marc's talk is on my list for LinuxCon too -- see
you there.

> However, the LISA paper (already written, but I believe I'm not supposed to
> distribute it before LISA makes it available, although if that's not a
> problem, I can give a copy) goes into a bit more.
>
> Mmmh, but for all its length I just realized that I didn't even touch the
> problem of invariant builds and diffing binary packages.
>
> Worst case, I can give more details over a good meal :)

I volunteer to feed you.  (This is worth it just
so that a build server administrator can have
something to say at that meeting with the CEO,
the VP of Engineering, the Corporate Counsel, and
[redacted].  "Well, I _could_ subvert the builds,
but every developer on the project would see it as
soon as they do their own.")

+1 Insightful to Marc and the rest of the crew at
Google for taking this on when they did.

--
Don Marti                      +1-510-332-1587 (mobile)
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/        Alameda, California, USA
dmarti at zgp.org