[linux-elitists] Surveillance

Jeremy Hankins nowan at nowan.org
Sun Sep 8 07:05:04 PDT 2013

Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> writes:

> Longer answer:
> 	To think that you ever could do this is to not realize the
> 	complexities in modern devices.  Heck, you still couldn't do
> 	this in devices made 25 years ago that were connected to
> 	networks.  Actually, it goes much farther back than just 25
> 	years if you remember how networks worked way back when.
>
> Only real solution, don't use an electronic device.

An individual can't, and people in general can't over the short term,
but is it really true that we can't at all over the medium to long term?
It seems to me there's a variant of Barnum's (apocryphal?) quote here,
about fooling all the people all the time.  I'm far less worried about
my own privacy than I am about a culture of surveillance, and for that
I'm not really concerned about having absolute trust in my own hardware
and software.[1]  What I want is a likelihood that approaches certainty
over time that if something is being done it will be discovered, and
ideally the culprit will be outed as well.

Make it difficult/expensive enough to do, and the cost high enough to
potential surveillers, and I think we've achieved the bulk of what we
want.

[1] That's not to say there isn't a value in making something close to
that level of trust possible, for those who have some special need for
it.  That's just not my primary concern.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan at nowan.org>