[linux-elitists] Surveillance

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Sat Sep 7 22:34:19 PDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 10:28:52PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 10:06:36PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 10:03:01PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > > We also had a package diff-er that accounted for zipped man pages, pyc files,
> > > and other files that changed each time you rebuilt them.
> > > But really, not rocket science.
> >
> > Not that it's the main point of the talk, but I'm giving a talk about
> > upgrading all our servers from Red Hat to Debian built from source and
> > stripped at Linuxcon in New Orleans, Lisa in DC, and LCA in Perth.
>
> Ob. plug:  It's a good talk, what these people did to upgrade their
> systems is a pretty amazing task given the size, complexity, and
> contraints they were under.  Highly recommended.  So much so I think
> I'll go sit through it again :)

Oh, I didn't notice you were there the first time :)

Please don't embarras me, I'm not sure it's good enough to see twice :)
I wish I could go into the more interesting bits that I can't touch in a
40mn talk, but there just isn't enough time in that timeslot.

However, the LISA paper (already written, but I believe I'm not supposed to
distribute it before LISA makes it available, although if that's not a
problem, I can give a copy) goes into a bit more.

Mmmh, but for all its length I just realized that I didn't even touch the
problem of invariant builds and diffing binary packages.

Worst case, I can give more details over a good meal :)
(but really it's not really anything super fancy, we just unpack both debs,
do a few tricks for .gz timestamps inside the gz stream and .pyc files, and
roll back mtimes of files that don't have changed content so that we don't
even have to sync the new copy's mtime at all)

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/