[linux-elitists] Surveillance

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Sep 7 10:33:01 PDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 07:27:12AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:

> Or are mainstream Linux releases already so
> compromised that it's the Gentoo nerds who should be
> busting out in the mocking elitist dance, at least
> until the other distributions get deterministic
> builds going?

Consider all the crypto-related fubars in Debian.
So far I chalked that up to incompetence, but now
I do wonder. It would be good to do some forensics
on the checkins that caused the regressions, and
identify the culprits.

Oh, and I asked weasel about how package-signing
secrets were maintained in Debian, and I very much
did not like the answer. So maybe no enemy action,
after all.

Are the *BSD people any better when it comes to
crypto? I'm not tracking them, so I really don't
know.