[linux-elitists] "Commerce" does not mean "collecting rent from protected monopolies"

Teh Entar-Nick nick at teh.entar.net
Tue Oct 8 15:35:50 PDT 2013

Tony Godshall:
> On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Teh Entar-Nick <nick at teh.entar.net> wrote:
> > The "hostility to commerce" claim is absurd on its face, given that it
> > nearly always boils down to "But under these licences my competitors can
> > engage in commerce using the software!"
>
> Re-read my comment.  I'm saying the GPL is seen as anti-commerce, not
> that it *is*, though there's no doubt in my mind its *author* can be
> rather hostile to commerce.

That's an odd claim to make, given that RMS funded the FSF/GNU project
in the early days through sales of EMACS tapes.  I'd say he's got more
sales under his belt than you probably do, tough guy.

Also I never talked about your relationship to the claim.

--
"No, I ain't got a fax machine!  I also ain't got an
Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!"