[linux-elitists] Browser fingerprinting

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon Oct 7 18:22:27 PDT 2013

begin Ruben I Safir quotation of Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 07:46:39PM -0400:

> The real key paragraph here is that they are connect indivudal behaviors
> to phones, work stations, and tablets all together.  They don't care
> about cookies and web browser signatures.  They have gotten way past it.
>
> I'm not sure even tor can help you.  It is just time to get off the
> grid.

Depends on what your threat model is and what your
goals are.

One of my goals is to assist the budget-making,
ssh-tunneling, good-example-setting side of my brain,
by keeping advertising that's targeted at me from
reaching the covetous, slothful, short-term-thinking
side of my brain.

If I hadn't been blocking targeted ads
before, I would have started right after reading this:
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/10/is-this-the-grossest-advertising-strategy-of-all-time/280242/
.  Whatever the male equivalent is, I don't think I
want to know.

But I do let the Project Wonderful
ads through, because they're cleverly
and signalfully not targeted by user:
https://www.projectwonderful.com/advertisewithus.php

--
Don Marti                      +1-510-332-1587 (mobile)
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/        Alameda, California, USA
dmarti at zgp.org