[linux-elitists] Browser fingerprinting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 7 18:09:18 PDT 2013

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> The real key paragraph here is that they are connect indivudal behaviors
> to phones, work stations, and tablets all together.  They don't care
> about cookies and web browser signatures.  They have gotten way past it.

Long discussion is possible here, which I must demur on.  A couple of
points, though:

1.  Article is somewhat vague on technological specifics.  But:
2.  Some of the specifics are that

    (a) '[Flurry's] tracking software appears on the phone automatically
    when people download those apps.'  Well, Don't Do That, Then.

    (b)  '[Drawbridge] has partnerships with various online publishers
    and ad exchanges' which send 'a notification every time a user
    visits a Web site or mobile app' and identifies a user but not
    his/her name by spotting behavioural patterns across multiple
    devices.  Sounds pretty fallible, and I think it rather more likely
    that most of what data matching they are able to do come from
    matching data voluntarily granted by the user.

Also, I notice that it doesn't work particularly well against my
browsing patterns in multiple locations.  To the extent I'm not able to
block Web ads, I'm not seeing effective tailoring.