[linux-elitists] "Commerce" does not mean "collecting rent from protected monopolies"

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 7 16:54:47 PDT 2013

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at teh.entar.net):

> The "hostility to commerce" claim is absurd on its face, given that it
> nearly always boils down to "But under these licences my competitors can
> engage in commerce using the software!"
>
> Welcome to free markets, bro.  Sorry we don't protect your aristocratic
> holdings for you.  Perhaps you could raise a standing army for that?

These losers^W people with special licensing issues show up regularly on
the OSI license-discuss mailing list, and we just got through dealing
with yet another one, in fact.  I particularly liked the most recent
one's list of reasons why the OSD is self-contradictory and needed
immediate amendment in order to bless his imminent conversion to
shareware.

They're valuable, though:  If you can be polite to them, then your Cloak
of Diplomacy is probably in good shape for dealing with more significant
people, too.

--
Cheers,                HULK LIKE OXFORD COMMA VERY MUCH.  HULK WANT TO DATE,
Rick Moen              BUT OXFORD COMMA ONLY GO OUT IN GROUPS OF THREE OR MORE.