[linux-elitists] Browser fingerprinting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 7 16:18:45 PDT 2013

Quoting Raistlin Majere (raistlin at majere.net):

> I was rather surprised that it also indicated that mine was unique ..
> I simply run Firefox 24 on Linux, with no scripts and cookies turned
> off .. I would have thought that to be relatively common among
> security conscience Linux folks.

Proper use of NoScript is the single most effective measure to reduce
the ability of Web sites to collect and abuse that information.  That's
because JavaScript is really the key user-side tool that gets abused in
various ways, and is the glue that lets tracking firms reach a variety
of user-side datastores.

http://samy.pl/evercookie/

(Samy's browser-interrogating script on http://samy.pl/ doesn't get
very far with my browser.  I.e., it gets nothing.)