[linux-elitists] Browser fingerprinting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 7 16:10:43 PDT 2013

Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):

> Unfortunately, Firefox appears to be highly fingerprintable.

Yes, it is.

Unfortunately, following the main advice of
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Web/user-agent-string.html results in Firefox
being somewhat _more_ fingerprintable.

If I set User-Agent to

   Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/6.0)

...instead of to

   W3C standards are important. Stop f---ing obsessing over user-agent already.

...I get a result of 'only one in 24,208 browsers have the same
fingerprint as yours' / 'your browser has a fingerprint that conveys
14.56 bits of identifying information'.

> Who's got a browser that comes up reasonably generic
> on Panopticlick, and what did you do?

I'm thinking that operating a local proxy that screws with the data that
fingerprinting relies on, and that changes it at semi-random intervals,
might be a good solution.