[linux-elitists] Browser fingerprinting

Eric De Mund ead-linux-elitists at ixian.com
Mon Oct 7 15:49:32 PDT 2013

All,

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 11:07 PM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
] Who's got a browser that comes up reasonably generic on Panopticlick,
] and what did you do?

On Mon, 07 Oct 2013 13:20:09, Stephan Neuhaus <stephan.neuhaus at tik.ee.ethz.ch>:
] Firefox with NoScript and Ghostery. About 10 bits of entropy. Not
] perfect, but not bad either.

Useful. Thank you.

With those two, I was able to get my number down to:
    ...only one in 203,627 browsers have the same fingerprint as yours
(Whereas before, I was "unique among the 3,461,672 tested so far".)

Going further, using NoScript, Ghostery, *and* User Agent Switcher
0.7.3, aiming for the "middle of the population bulge" by selecting:
    Browsers - Windows > Firefox 21.0.1 (Win 8 64)
(even though I'm running Iceweasel under Debian), I was able to get my
Panopticlick number down to:
    ...only one in 8,088 browsers have the same fingerprint as yours

One can fetch the large list of user agents I used for this experiment
from this page of the author of User Agent Switcher:
    http://forums.chrispederick.com/discussion/7/a-large-regularly-updated-import-list-of-user-agents
where he mentions (points to):
    http://techpatterns.com/forums/about304.html
The file there is useragentswitcher.xml and can be imported directly by
User Agent Switcher (Tools > Default User Agent > User Agent Switcher >
Options... > Import/Export > Import...).

Regards,
Eric
--
"Whereas economic man maximises, selects the best alternative from among
all those available to him, his cousin, administrative man, 'satisfices',

Eric De Mund
ead at ixian.com