[linux-elitists] "Commerce" does not mean "collecting rent from protected monopolies"

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sun Oct 6 11:36:13 PDT 2013

begin Teh Entar-Nick quotation of Sat, Oct 05, 2013 at 10:32:22PM +0000:

> The "hostility to commerce" claim is absurd on its face, given that it
> nearly always boils down to "But under these licences my competitors can
> engage in commerce using the software!"
>
> Welcome to free markets, bro.  Sorry we don't protect your aristocratic
> holdings for you.  Perhaps you could raise a standing army for that?

I'm sympathetic to the Jaron Lanier argument
that people who have made things, but are now
retired or recovering from an injury, should have
some capital to live on (although why he wants to
apply it to some people but not others I don't get:
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/freedom/lanier-on-flushrights/
).  But I don't understand the Horacio Gutierrez
argument that there needs to be some kind of
government retirement program for senescent
corporations.  When it's over, it's over -- wrap
it up, update your LinkedIn profile, auction off
the Aeron chairs, and get creative destructifying!
Keeping an individual company going past its time
with exclusive government-granted monopolies is
anti-business.  It's as if they had kept tweaking
the New York City theater permit system to keep
"Cats" running.

--
Don Marti                      +1-510-332-1587 (mobile)
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/        Alameda, California, USA
dmarti at zgp.org