[linux-elitists] Browser fingerprinting

Andy Bennett andyjpb at ashurst.eu.org
Sun Oct 6 11:23:11 PDT 2013

Hi,

> Unfortunately, Firefox appears to be highly
> fingerprintable.
>
> https://panopticlick.eff.org/ says "Your browser
> fingerprint appears to be unique among the 3,458,043
> tested so far."
>
> Ouch.  Got to get my act together here.  But of
> course the more that I customize, the more unique my
> browser looks.
>
> Who's got a browser that comes up reasonably generic
> on Panopticlick, and what did you do?

I'm running Iceweasel on Debian and I'm unique in their set as well.

Judging from their summary table, the "System Fonts" entry seems to be
the thing that identifies me. Fonts from my ~/.fonts/ directory are
being listed there so I guess I've got the system set plus my personal
set. I wonder how unique the system set is and how much of it comes from
the base OS and how much is contributed from selectable packages.

Perhaps Debian's popcon can be put to work to shed some light on
possible font packaging refactoring?

Regards,
@ndy

andyjpb at ashurst.eu.org