[linux-elitists] Browser fingerprinting

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sun Oct 6 11:11:46 PDT 2013

Corporate speak: "Tawakol and Ingis both said the
new technology, which is still under development,
would allow companies to use alternative approaches
that are sometimes called statistical or probabilistic
tracking, while remaining in compliance with industry
privacy standards."

Translation: "Fine, you smug cookie-blocking nerds.
We're going to go all browser fingerprinting on you."

  http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/2013/10/04/ad-groups-prepare-for-cookieless-future-develop-opt-out-tool-for-alternative-tracking/

Mozilla has been working on cleaning up the
third-party cookie problem, and making a dent in it,
as you can tell by the complaints from the creepy
adtech business.

Unfortunately, Firefox appears to be highly
fingerprintable.

https://panopticlick.eff.org/ says "Your browser
fingerprint appears to be unique among the 3,458,043
tested so far."

Ouch.  Got to get my act together here.  But of
course the more that I customize, the more unique my
browser looks.

Who's got a browser that comes up reasonably generic
on Panopticlick, and what did you do?

--
Don Marti                      +1-510-332-1587 (mobile)
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/        Alameda, California, USA
dmarti at zgp.org