[linux-elitists] [liberationtech] Silent Phone source code available on GitHub

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Fri Oct 4 12:12:46 PDT 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Open_Source_Definition

Yes, it's essentially the DSFG, generalized to apply beyond Debian in
the form of the Open Source Initiative, i.e. ESR and Bruce Perens

Why would it not "still be a thing"?

I mean these are the guys who popularized the term with regards to
software as opposed to just commodity purchasing.  In particular,
"open source" with regards to software, is commerce-friendly, while
it's not clear that "free software" is, and the FSF is often seen as
commerce-hostile.  But even the GPL has an explicit no further
restrictions not even commercial restrictions clause, right?

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> wrote:
> begin Tony Godshall quotation of Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 10:13:45AM -0700:
>
>> Indeed the Not For Monetary Gain clause violates the Open Source Definition.
>
> Open Source Definition?  Is that even still a thing?
>
> I thought that people who want to share software these
> days are just picking an existing license that people
> already use to share software, and not blowing out
> their carpal tunnels on mailing lists arguing over
> whether some new license is compatible with DFSG
> or whatever.
>
> --
> Don Marti                      +1-510-332-1587 (mobile)
> http://zgp.org/~dmarti/        Alameda, California, USA
> dmarti at zgp.org

Best Regards.
This is unedited.