[linux-elitists] [liberationtech] Silent Phone source code available on GitHub

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Oct 4 09:11:26 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from Karl Fogel <kfogel at red-bean.com> -----

Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 11:02:11 -0500
From: Karl Fogel <kfogel at red-bean.com>
To: liberationtech at lists.stanford.edu, Petter Ericson <pettter at acc.umu.se>
Subject: Re: [liberationtech] Silent Phone source code available on GitHub

Petter Ericson <pettter at acc.umu.se> writes:
>So, Silent Circle (well, Silent Phone) is finally open source!

Thank you, Petter -- it sounds like this release was a lot of hard work.
But it doesn't appear to be actually open source.  At least, I couldn't
find a license file containing an open source license.  Actually, I
didn't see any license file at all, so I went looking for a source file,
and the first one I found was:

  https://github.com/SilentCircle/silent-phone-android/blob/master/src/com/silentcircle/silentphone/TiviPhoneService.java

...which contains this license header in a comment at the top:

  > Copyright © 2012-2013, Silent Circle, LLC. All rights reserved.
  >
  > Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
  > modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
  > * Any redistribution, use, or modification is done solely for personal
  > benefit and not for any commercial purpose or for monetary gain
  > * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
  > notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
  > * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
  > notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
  > documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
  > * Neither the name Silent Circle nor the
  > names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products
  > derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
  >
  > [...]

That first term is incompatible with open source (prohibition on
commercial use means it's not open source).  For clarification:
http://opensource.org/faq#commercial

Of course, I'd love to see the code switched to an open source license,
and am happy to help you choose one, if you'd like help.  A good place
to start is http://opensource.org/licenses.

Having the code visible to the world is still a gain from a security
perspective, and I don't mean to diminish that.  However, "visible" is
not the same as "open source".

Best,
­Karl

--
Liberationtech is public & archives are searchable on Google. Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated: https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech. Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password by emailing moderator at companys at stanford.edu.

----- End forwarded message -----