[linux-elitists] CFD and CAD and USB3 laptops...

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Tue Oct 1 09:45:29 PDT 2013

Thanks, Andy, Matt, Greg, Ben.

I got myself a Lenovo x230 with the mid-range i5 and 8GB RAM off ebay
and am pretty happy with it.  12" is about right for full-size
keyboard and portability.

Only fly in the ointment so far is that I'm not getting the full speed
of the 180 GB Intel 525 SSD drive I added.  Lenovo forums say the
mSATA interface doesn't support SATA-III even though some of the
marketing materials and personnel say they do.  But it's still pretty
good.

Only muscle memory issue is the damn Fn displacing the Left Ctrl, but
it's hard to find laptops that do that right.  Like having both
multitouch and edge-scroll on the touchpad, and like having the rough
pointer in the middle of the kb as well.  Never seen a Mic-Mute
button- I imagine that'll be useful at some point.

Thanks again.