[linux-elitists] Request-for-Comments: The "How to Get Help Online (2013)" Document

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Nov 1 13:00:34 PDT 2013

begin Shlomi Fish quotation of Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 07:13:56PM +0200:

> I welcome comments about a document I wrote titled “How to Get Help Online
> (2013)”, which can be found here:
>
> http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/how-to-get-help-online/2013.html

IRC has channels--how do you find the helpful people
channel and not the troll channel?

Why recommend a third-party site ahead of the
relevant project mailing list?  Some projects have
active mailing lists that could turn out to be a
better place to ask than the Stack Exchange sites.
(Maybe mention that the Stack Exchange questions and
answers are CC-licensed so that projects can pick
them up and use them, which is a good thing.)

How about mentioning the local user group mailing
list?  Some of the LUG lists are pretty good places
to start if you don't know which exact thing is
responsible for your problem.   Good batch of
questions and answers on the SVLUG list recently...
  http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2013-October/thread.html

Also, if the software that you're trying to get to
work has web-editable documentation, just edit the
documentation to describe the way you _want_ it to
work, and see if they take your change:
  https://github.com/coreos/etcd/pull/272

--
Don Marti                      +1-510-332-1587 (mobile)
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/        Alameda, California, USA
dmarti at zgp.org