[linux-elitists] open linklogging, anyone?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sat Mar 30 23:15:02 PDT 2013

Teh Entar-Nick  <nick at teh.entar.net> wrote:
>Don Marti:
>> Anyone else doing a linklog feed on your own site?
>
>I'm not sure what that really means, formally, but those of us who still
>use IRC have kept this thing around:
>
>    http://click.olinko.net/

And what's the substitute for IRC nowadays? XMPP multi-user chat? StatusNet
(soon to become pump.io) and its proprietary counterparts?

Someone who is well versed in the mathematics of reputation systems and
machine learning algorithms should be able to write an RSS reader that quite
effectively identifies articles of interest to each user. It would be
interesting to determine whether a relevance calculation based on what
friends/colleagues/acquaintances approve would out-perform a textual
classifier, or whether a combination of the two would be more reliable.

As the volume of online communication grows ever larger, there will need to be
much more investment in filtering techniques; and I hope that free/open-source
software is at the forefront of these developments.

If I remember rightly, CRM114 has been used to classify news articles; it's a
general-purpose tool, not just a spam filter (even though many of us use it in
the latter application).