[linux-elitists] open linklogging, anyone?

sam at thepromisedlan.org sam at thepromisedlan.org
Thu Mar 28 11:54:03 PDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 07:56:56AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Tony Finch quotation of Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 01:17:56PM +0000:
> > Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Anyone else doing a linklog feed on your own site?

I use venus (http://intertwingly.net/code/venus/) like the popular
planet.<project>.org sites but just as a personal aggregation (mostly)
in lieu of any desktop or mobile agg program:

http://planet.promisedlan.org

Maybe it's just me but I've never really longed for the "mark as read"
feature that is the piece obviously missing.

While looking for the intertwingly link ( I always look for venus code
at the older planetplanet.org and wonder why I can't find the current
code ;) help jdub! ) I saw that there's some work going into giving
venus some of those features:
http://lists.planetplanet.org/archives/devel/2013-March/002265.html

> Marco Arment writes, about high-volume feeds,
> "It’s not enough to interleave their posts
> into a “river” or “stream” paradigm,
> where only the most recent N items are shown
> in one big, combined, reverse-chronological
> list (much like a Twitter timeline), because
> many of them would get buried in the noise of
> higher-volume feeds and people’s tweets."  --
> http://www.marco.org/2013/03/26/power-of-rss

Agreed. Though, maybe just due to low volume, this hasn't bothered me
much. But it's also totally possible that I'm missing gems and enjoying
the bliss of ignorance.

> Personally, I think that a scored river design has
> potential.  So my thing can be polling >5000 feeds
> and still show this Matthew Garrett piece fairly
> close to the top:

Sounds great.

--
sam