[linux-elitists] open linklogging, anyone?

Teh Entar-Nick nick at teh.entar.net
Tue Mar 26 02:48:10 PDT 2013

Don Marti:
> begin Teh Entar-Nick quotation of Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 01:48:04PM +0000:
> > >   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linklog
> > Weird.  This is the original definition of "weblog", you realize.  Jorn
> > Barger was just logging all the interesting Web pages he'd gone to, with
> > a short comment.
> Today, different people's definitions are all over the place...
>   It's like a press release, except we can use links and curse words!
>   It's like a column, except you sign over your copyright, we don't
>   copy-edit it, and we pay you less!
>   It's my diary except that...well, um, it's exactly like my diary!

Well I took all these as the many meanings of "blog".  I kept "weblog"
around for exactly this kind of log-of-links format.  It's a log of Web
browsing, hence weblog.

I'm not that attached to it, but it's a bit absurd that someone thinks
they've invented something worth coining a new term.

--
Information gladly given, but safety requires
avoiding unnecessary conversation.