[linux-elitists] targeted-advertising-considered-harmful/ ...comments welcome

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Jul 31 07:03:13 PDT 2013

begin Teh Entar-Nick quotation of Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 01:00:04PM +0000:
> Don Marti:
> > I'll check the fallback fonts in the CSS and make sure that the page
> > looks reasonable with them.  Does your distribution of choice have PT
> > Sans and Bitstream Charter packaged?
>
> Oh, I don't let sites set their own fonts.  I don't yet trust freetype
> with unverified third-party input, and besides the ubuntu and ubuntu
> mono fonts look pretty good in just about all situations.  Why not just
> say when you want a serif font, when you want sans, and let me choose
> the ones that look best for me?

Last I checked (and I don't use non-Linux systems
much, so this could be out of date) a lot of people's
computers have lousy system fonts.  So I'll go
with this:

  font-family: "Vollkorn", "Bitstream Charter", serif;

  font-family: "Source Sans Pro", "PT Sans", sans-serif;

That'll give you (1) my chosen typefaces for
third-party-content-allowing users and those
who have installed Source Sans Pro and Vollkorn
locally (on Fedora,

  yum install vollkorn-fonts adobe-source-sans-pro-fonts

and you should be set), (2) a fallback to decent
ones for people who are into privacy but might be
a little behind on fonts and (3) just plain "serif"
and "sans-serif" for you.

The one I'm not sure about is PT Sans -- it might
not be common enough to be worth it.

And for anyone not blocking third-party content,
here's a bonus link:
  Black Hat: Ad networks lay path
  to million-strong browser botnet
  http://www.itworld.com/security/366872/black-hat-ad-networks-lay-path-million-strong-browser-botnet

--
Don Marti                      +1-510-332-1587 (mobile)
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/        Alameda, California, USA
dmarti at zgp.org