[linux-elitists] etcd: A highly-available key value store

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Tue Aug 13 22:49:05 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:12:07AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> I had a python program here that someone wrote for me that did much the
> same thing (exponential time increase for the size of the file it was
> reading.)  Rewrote it in C with a 1000% speedup.  I should port it to go
> one of these days just to get some more practice...

Hm, did it start with "for line in file.readlines():"?  I still find those
in my early .py utils and weep for the wasted runtime before excising the
".readlines()" bit.

But yeah, time to recode in Go for fun, neural plasticity and parallelism.
Best make sure I have the disk space for all that static binary goodness.

> In other words, don't blame the language for the stupid things that the
> program's author does :)

Oh, I save that kind of prejudice for Ruby, which richly deserves it.