[linux-elitists] etcd: A highly-available key value store

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Aug 13 12:03:05 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 01:41:33PM -0500, Jim Thompson wrote:

<in html and cc: me, both of which the linux-elitists list rejects...>

> On Aug 13, 2013, at 12:21 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
>
>     He did mention that it could possibly be extended to handle larger
>     amounts of data, if the sync time is relaxed, if someone wants to work
>     on making those changes to it.
>
> Is this just an issue of bandwidth between the CoreOS instances?  Is he
> assuming 1Gbps links?

No, this is a raft protocol requirement from what I can tell, it has
nothing to do with CoreOS.  I think the raft paper is at:
	https://ramcloud.stanford.edu/wiki/download/attachments/11370504/raft.pdf
but that seems to be a draft, there's probably a published paper
somewhere that describes more completely.

Although, in skimming this, it might just be a limitation that the
go-raft implementation that is in etcd, as I couldn't find any size
limitations in the raft paper, but I could have missed them.

greg k-h