[linux-elitists] etcd: A highly-available key value store

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Aug 13 11:12:07 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:54:30AM -0700, aaron at bavariati.org wrote:
> Just had a 2MB Go binary thrown over the wall to me.  Knocked together a
> rough equivalent in 50 lines of Python that ran twice as fast.  I think
> I've worked out why (the Go program, as written, fopens/fcloses a file for
> every line processed, which permits parallelism but eats CPU time for
> lunch) but still, it left a bad impression.

I had a python program here that someone wrote for me that did much the
same thing (exponential time increase for the size of the file it was
reading.)  Rewrote it in C with a 1000% speedup.  I should port it to go
one of these days just to get some more practice...

In other words, don't blame the language for the stupid things that the
program's author does :)

greg k-h