[linux-elitists] etcd: A highly-available key value store

aaron at bavariati.org aaron at bavariati.org
Tue Aug 13 10:54:30 PDT 2013

> Making the rounds...
>   http://coreos.com/docs/etcd/
>
>   "A highly-available key value store for shared
>   configuration and service discovery."

Hm.  Clustered KV store with locking, for people who don't feel like doing
it on Erlang OTP.
I need to learn why that would be useful.

> Also, it's in Go.  On that subject, bonus link:
>   http://blog.lusis.org/blog/2013/08/11/go-for-system-administrators/

Thanks for that.
Just had a 2MB Go binary thrown over the wall to me.  Knocked together a
rough equivalent in 50 lines of Python that ran twice as fast.  I think
I've worked out why (the Go program, as written, fopens/fcloses a file for
every line processed, which permits parallelism but eats CPU time for
lunch) but still, it left a bad impression.

Just a simple unfrozen caveman sysadmin,
  Aaron