[linux-elitists] PengPod engineers for a new project

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Thu Aug 8 17:17:41 PDT 2013

David Edmondson  <dme at dme.org> wrote:

>As for the worst of times, Jason described a possible scenario:
>
>   As to predicting the long term, I suppose it depends on whether you
>   think what we today call phones and tablets, and the operating
>   systems running on them, will ultimately displace desktop machines as
>   traditionally understood.
>
>Those devices (phones and tablets) are often built in a way that is
>restrictive - closed components, hidden software, etc.

True, but many of the micro-computers of the 80s weren't particularly open
either. Then the IBM PC standard became dominant, there were many PC clones
from various manufacturers, and it became a commodity item governed
increasingly by standards.

This isn't exactly parallel to the kinds of closed hardware we're discussing
today, of course. My question then is whether there are forces that will tend
toward greater openness over time. I think the FSF initiative to replace the
closed components of Android with free alternatives is exactly the necessary
move for them to be making in the present environment, whether or not the
project succeeds.