[linux-elitists] PengPod engineers for a new project

Tilghman Lesher zgp-org at the-tilghman.com
Thu Aug 8 15:30:40 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 09:36:00AM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 4:27 AM, David Edmondson <dme at dme.org> wrote:
>> > Linux will win completely and be everywhere, but we will have none of
>> > the freedoms that it was intended to allow.
>>
>> That Linux will "win completely" is actually a bad thing, historically
>> speaking.  In any market where a single product has "won", stagnation
>> was the result.  It's the fight for dominance which keeps us moving
>> forward, and thus, I hope for a future where there are always at least
>> 3 options, continually fighting for dominance, sometimes one pulling
>> forward, but with no one product achieving the dominance for which it
>> fights.  It's a process, not a destination.
>
> You used the word "historically" correctly here.
>
> Remember, Linux has done something that has never been done before, so
> why would history be any indication that this is going to cause
> "stagnation"?

Remember the dot-com boom and bust, where everybody insisted that they
had a new way of doing business, and the old rules didn't apply?
You're telling me the old rules don't apply to Linux.

> Remember, there isn't just "one" Linux, unlike there has been in the
> past with single-systems.  There are thousands of Linux versions out
> there, for hundreds of thousands of different types of systems, being
> used in a myriad of different ways.

There are thousands of Windows versions out there, too, just as there
are thousands of MacOS (probably hundreds, if you only count Mac OS X)
versions, but we generally count each of those as being singleton
competitors.  Yes, the versatility of Linux means that if you live on
the bleeding edge, there are thousands of different kernels in use at
any one time, but most of us who aren't kernel developers tend not to
run anything other than what is packaged.  We have more important
things to do than rice up our kernels like some sort of Gentoo user.

> It is being created by 3,000 different developers, from over 450
> different companies every year, pulling it in ways that are anything but
> common.  There is a constant churn and change happening, never stopping.
>
> And this rate of change keeps increasing, stagnation is no where to be
> seen at all.

Correct, because Linux hasn't won, yet.  It has not achieved an
operating system monopoly, yet.  Competition thrives, so innovation
thrives.

> To quote an IBM executive, "Are you done with Linux yet?"  And my
> response, finally, after 10 years of hearing this, "We will be when you
> stop making new hardware."

Similarly, I hope this never happens, because hardware innovation
would be dead, and we'd all be poorer for it.

> As long as the world keeps changing, Linux should be changing to keep up
> with it.  If it doesn't, then it will die, but that's a different story.

I don't think that you're even advocating a position where Linux has
to win the operating system market, beating out every competitor and
obtaining what is essentially a monopoly.  If we were ever to get
there, however, I'm not certain if you see that as wise or if you're
simply indifferent to the possibility.  Care to take a more definitive
position?

-Tilghman