[linux-elitists] PengPod engineers for a new project

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Aug 8 14:33:55 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 09:36:00AM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 4:27 AM, David Edmondson <dme at dme.org> wrote:
> > Linux will win completely and be everywhere, but we will have none of
> > the freedoms that it was intended to allow.
>
> That Linux will "win completely" is actually a bad thing, historically
> speaking.  In any market where a single product has "won", stagnation
> was the result.  It's the fight for dominance which keeps us moving
> forward, and thus, I hope for a future where there are always at least
> 3 options, continually fighting for dominance, sometimes one pulling
> forward, but with no one product achieving the dominance for which it
> fights.  It's a process, not a destination.

You used the word "historically" correctly here.

Remember, Linux has done something that has never been done before, so
why would history be any indication that this is going to cause
"stagnation"?

Remember, there isn't just "one" Linux, unlike there has been in the
past with single-systems.  There are thousands of Linux versions out
there, for hundreds of thousands of different types of systems, being
used in a myriad of different ways.

It is being created by 3,000 different developers, from over 450
different companies every year, pulling it in ways that are anything but
common.  There is a constant churn and change happening, never stopping.

And this rate of change keeps increasing, stagnation is no where to be
seen at all.

To quote an IBM executive, "Are you done with Linux yet?"  And my
response, finally, after 10 years of hearing this, "We will be when you
stop making new hardware."

As long as the world keeps changing, Linux should be changing to keep up
with it.  If it doesn't, then it will die, but that's a different story.

greg k-h