[linux-elitists] PengPod engineers for a new project

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Aug 8 14:27:48 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 11:40:17AM +0100, David Edmondson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 08 2013, Greg KH wrote:
> > Linux will "win completely", and by doing so we have done something that
> > no one else has ever done, in a way of doing it that has never been done
> > before, and in a way that only a very few could have guessed would be
> > possible[1].
>
> Agreed. I certainly would not have anticipated the speed and extent of
> its' success. It is the best of times.

"speed"?  20 years isn't exactly fast :)

> >> Linux will win completely and be everywhere, but we will have none of
> >> the freedoms that it was intended to allow.
> >
> > WTF?  What "freedoms" was Linux intended to "allow"?  And who,
> > specifically, "intended" them?
>
> Maybe I went overboard.
>
> Linus chose a specific license, presumably with specific intent.

And what was that intent?

> That license includes various clauses intended to promote particular
> behaviour and provide certain guarantees. Doesn't that license provide
> various freedoms?

And how has that license prevented any of those "freedoms"?

What has changed since the creation of the kernel that has prevented any
of these "freedoms"?

Remember, the FSF was the one that _approved_ Tivo's usage of signed
bootloaders to lock down the kernel to a specific version in the
machine as a valid interpretation of GPLv2.  So you can't complain about
that, as you will be arguing against the creator of the license.

> As for the worst of times, Jason described a possible scenario:
>
>    As to predicting the long term, I suppose it depends on whether you
>    think what we today call phones and tablets, and the operating
>    systems running on them, will ultimately displace desktop machines as
>    traditionally understood.
>
> Those devices (phones and tablets) are often built in a way that is
> restrictive - closed components, hidden software, etc.

And what does that have to do with Linux?

I understand some people's annoyance at this type of thing, but Linux
does not impose "usage restrictions" on devices.  To do so would be a
violation of another type of "freedom", don't you agree?

greg k-h