[linux-elitists] PengPod engineers for a new project

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Thu Aug 8 03:40:17 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 08 2013, Greg KH wrote:
> Linux will "win completely", and by doing so we have done something that
> no one else has ever done, in a way of doing it that has never been done
> before, and in a way that only a very few could have guessed would be
> possible[1].

Agreed. I certainly would not have anticipated the speed and extent of
its' success. It is the best of times.

>> Linux will win completely and be everywhere, but we will have none of
>> the freedoms that it was intended to allow.
>
> WTF?  What "freedoms" was Linux intended to "allow"?  And who,
> specifically, "intended" them?

Maybe I went overboard.

Linus chose a specific license, presumably with specific intent. That
license includes various clauses intended to promote particular
behaviour and provide certain guarantees. Doesn't that license provide
various freedoms?

As for the worst of times, Jason described a possible scenario:

   As to predicting the long term, I suppose it depends on whether you
   think what we today call phones and tablets, and the operating
   systems running on them, will ultimately displace desktop machines as
   traditionally understood.

Those devices (phones and tablets) are often built in a way that is
restrictive - closed components, hidden software, etc.