[linux-elitists] PengPod engineers for a new project

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Thu Aug 8 02:27:22 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 08 2013, Jason White wrote:
> As to predicting the long term, I suppose it depends on whether you
> think what we today call phones and tablets, and the operating systems
> running on them, will ultimately displace desktop machines as
> traditionally understood. We could be heading into an era of Linux in
> the server room, Linux (Android, Firefox OS, Ubuntu Touch, KDE Plasma
> or whatever) in the end-user-facing devices, and nothing in between as
> the PC legacy slowly disappears. There would be both new challenges
> and opportunities for software freedom in that environment.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of
wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it
was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the
season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of
despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were
all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way."

Linux will win completely and be everywhere, but we will have none of
the freedoms that it was intended to allow.