[linux-elitists] Fun with Git repository copying

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sat Apr 13 10:26:11 PDT 2013

begin Greg KH quotation of Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 08:07:32AM -0700:

> Again, don't just use rsync or cp on a live git repo, you wouldn't do
> that on a database, would you?

No, for a database I'd shut down the server, then
copy, then start up the server again (unless it was
critical to minimize downtime, in which case I'd put
the database files on a separate filesystem and do
a snapshot, then copy that.)

For git, though, there's no server process to shut
down (unless I want to bring down sshd).  What's the
best way to make git not modify a repository while
I'm copying it or backing it up?

--
Don Marti                      +1-510-332-1587 (mobile)
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/        Alameda, California, USA
dmarti at zgp.org