[linux-elitists] Recommendation: GNU Parallel

Thomas Sattler sattler at med.uni-frankfurt.de
Mon Nov 12 04:13:35 PST 2012

> The Wikipedia page claims that parallel will aggregate the output
> of the tasks based on their order, but I witnessed to the contrary

GNU Parallel buffers the output of running jobs and only prints them
when a job has been completed. For memory reasons the order is not
preserved unless you ask for it. ("--keep-order")

In case you don't care for the output at all, you can disable caching
and speedup the process with "--ungroup".

Thomas