[linux-elitists] New file sync tool

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu May 24 07:12:48 PDT 2012

As some of you might already know, the s.o. and I
use a pretty much non-overlapping set of online
services.  She's on Facebook, I'm on Google Plus.
She's on Reddit, I'm on Quora. And let's not even
get started on mobile phones.

That means that using "the cloud" to share photos,
files, and documents is pretty much out.  We'd pick
different services.*

So I'm happy that Joey Hess has a plan:
  http://joeyh.name/blog/entry/kickstarter_for_git-annex_assistant/

  "the basic idea is to make git-annex watch a
  directory, with inotify, and automatically add and
  sync files placed there. Then build a local web
  app to control and configure it."

There's a Kickstarter project to fund Joey's work
on this.  Looks like a bargain to me.

* This is actually pretty awesome as an accidental
family Internet freedom plan.  Communication should
not be an issue (It's the Internet) but surprisingly
it is.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/