[linux-elitists] Update on Getting Shlomi Fish's Emails Unbanned from vger.kernel.org (for submitting a kernel patch and getting help with git on the Better-SCM site)

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Fri Mar 30 09:43:46 PDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:33:21AM -0400, Chris Ball wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Mar 30 2012, Greg KH wrote:

> >> Dear I still don't know who your name is, and I don't take people who Email
> >> with silly aliases seriously.
> >
> > Dammit Marc, you just blew it!  That was going to be the next hurdle we
> > threw up in getting those patches accepted into the kernel tree as the
> > kernel developers are not allowed to accept contributions from people
> > not using their legal name.
>
> As much as I agree that Shlomi's trouble getting patches accepted
> appears to be because he's impossible to work with, making fun of him
> for having a "silly alias" as a name seems to be crossing the line into
> disturbing behavior -- I don't see any reason to believe it's a fake
> name.  It seems that you're both performing "your name looks weird so
> I will bully you about it" stereotyping.
>
> - Chris (who also has a silly name).

Are you kidding me?  Do you know how much flack I get for my name?  It's
been one problem after another for all of these years, no one knows how
to pronounce it, and no one knows how to look it up when they file it
somewhere, and don't get me started about the whole "some government
documents can't have '-' in them" and "airline computer systems ignore
that wierd character so why does your id look different from your
ticket?" problem.  Then there's the whole "but what are your kids going
to do when they get married?" stupid question as well.

There was no bullying intended at all, only the fact that the kernel
developers can not accept patches from pseudo-anonymous sources, or
anonymous ones either for legal reasons (which you do care about.)

So if that is their real name, my appologies, but I never thought that
it was for all of these years...

greg k-h