[linux-elitists] Update on Getting Shlomi Fish's Emails Unbanned from vger.kernel.org (for submitting a kernel patch and getting help with git on the Better-SCM site)

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Fri Mar 30 09:37:26 PDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 09:21:26AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 08:16:52AM -0700, Greg KH (greg at kroah.com) wrote:

> > > Dear I still don't know who your name is, and I don't take people who Email
> > > with silly aliases seriously.
> >
> > Dammit Marc, you just blew it!  That was going to be the next hurdle we
> > threw up in getting those patches accepted into the kernel tree as the
> > kernel developers are not allowed to accept contributions from people
> > not using their legal name.
>
> I take it this is a side-effect of the upcoming merger of The Linux
> Foundation and Google+.
>
> ;-)

I know you are just joking here, but no, we have had this policy in
place for many many years now, it is not something new at all.  See the
file, Documentation/SubmittingPatches in the Linux kernel source tree
for details (the Signed-off-by: portion is the section that is
relevant.)

And as the lawyers constantly remind me, copyright is not a laughing
matter :(

greg k-h