[linux-elitists] Update on Getting Shlomi Fish's Emails Unbanned from vger.kernel.org (for submitting a kernel patch and getting help with git on the Better-SCM site)

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Fri Mar 30 08:33:21 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 30 2012, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 07:33:52AM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:36:45PM +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > in a previous thread on this list:
>>
>> Dear I still don't know who your name is, and I don't take people who Email
>> with silly aliases seriously.
>
> Dammit Marc, you just blew it!  That was going to be the next hurdle we
> threw up in getting those patches accepted into the kernel tree as the
> kernel developers are not allowed to accept contributions from people
> not using their legal name.

As much as I agree that Shlomi's trouble getting patches accepted
appears to be because he's impossible to work with, making fun of him
for having a "silly alias" as a name seems to be crossing the line into
disturbing behavior -- I don't see any reason to believe it's a fake
name.  It seems that you're both performing "your name looks weird so
I will bully you about it" stereotyping.

- Chris (who also has a silly name).
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>   <http://printf.net/>
One Laptop Per Child