[linux-elitists] What I less-than-three about Debian

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Mon Jun 18 19:14:27 PDT 2012

Matt Obert <modus at as220.org> writes:

> I was trying to indicate my appreciation for the fact that Team Debian
> treats such grammatical minutiae with the same gravitas as any other bug
> report or package policy issue.

I see this as an (intended) effect of having every package maintained by
a real person who has chosen to take on that role.

The recent trend toward “team maintenance” in Debian is intended to,
among other things, improve the bus factor on packages and remove the
bottle-necks inherent to having a single person as authority for a
package.

These are desirable goals. But I worry that having a team responsible,
without a known lead maintainer, may lead to diffusion of responsibility
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_responsibility>: without
a single person knowing they are *the* responsible person, human nature
tends to reduce our individual feeling of responsibility as the group of
nominally responsible people increases.

That would, if my explanation is correct, tend to significantly reduce
the attention to detail that you and I love so much about Debian's
package maintainers.

--
 \          “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without |
  `\      having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it |