[linux-elitists] Ledger: org mode for double-entry bookkeeping

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sat Dec 29 09:49:29 PST 2012

begin Eugen Leitl quotation of Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 07:48:08PM +0100:

> > Good idea.  Making SQLite the default data file
> > format for applications is nice as long as you don't
> > do anything interesting with those data files such
> > as try to version, merge, or collaborate on them.
> >
> > Is there a good simple command-line tool for merging
> > tree-structured files such as XML or JSON?  One that
> > could be used as a git mergetool?
>
> Apropos git and SQLite, have you looked at Fossil?

Yes, I have.  It seems like it's going in the wrong
direction from what I'm looking for, though.  What I
want is a basic, robust version control system --
http://keithp.com/blogs/Repository_Formats_Matter/ --
and then put the complexity in the databranch scheme
and/or the mergetool.

We'll probably have to grow "tools that can merge
tree-structured files" and "applications that
save data in a mergeable way" together.  For now,
I'm getting started with Ledger (getting Vim happy
with the files) and counting on being able to do a
union merge if necessary.  (Accounting journals are
a special case; lines must never be removed.)

--
Don Marti                      +1-510-332-1587 (mobile)
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/        Alameda, California, USA
dmarti at zgp.org