[linux-elitists] Ledger: org mode for double-entry bookkeeping

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sun Dec 9 15:18:46 PST 2012

On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 07:45:11PM +0000, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> Don Marti:
> > begin Teh Entar-Nick quotation of Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 01:54:01PM +0000:
> > > I'm curious what other tasks we can give the org-mode treatment like
> > > this!  I've seen time tracking systems that do this not as well.  I've
> > > seen calendar tools that didn't work so well either.  How could we do
> > > for other tasks what Ledger does so well for single-user accounting?
>
> > (I have experimented with a simple calendar/todo tool that stores
> > entries in RFC822 mail messages with X headers for the calendar
> > metadata.  Works offline using offlineimap.  Adding a web interface to
> > make it shareable for a small group of users would essentially be an
> > extended version of the "send email from a web form" script, plus a
> > script to rebuild a user's web calendar from procmail and after an
> > offlineimap run.)
>
> The use of offlineimap to deal with rfc2822 data is a good idea!

Indeed.  I recently decided it was the ideal format for all my todo list
needs:

    http://hezmatt.org/~mpalmer/blog/2012/10/26/the-email-pda

This is, I suspect, an idea that has been around for a long, long time.  I
recall evaluating a plugin for Outlook many, many moons ago that provided
shared calendaring without needing exchange, and its data store was an IMAP
server.  It didn't work very well, but I suspect that was the quality of the
plugin, not the underlying concept.

- Matt

--
Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.  Second marriage
is the triumph of hope over experience.