[linux-elitists] Ledger: org mode for double-entry bookkeeping

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Dec 7 01:59:21 PST 2012

On 12/07/2012 06:38 AM, Don Marti wrote:

> The application of the future has a decent web
> interface, for users who either have nothing but a
> browser or whose tools you don't want to support
> or change, as well as a powerful local interface
> that uses the shell user's own $EDITOR and version
> control.

The web interface is probably a requisite for touch screen devices
(phones, tablets) too. I use my Nexus 7 for CLI work via ConnectBot, and
even with the "Hackers Keyboard" installed, I occasionally want to throw
it across the room... laptop w/ keyboard (and an *actual* Linux
environment, rather than the play/toy that Android can supply) for any
heavy lifting, for sure.

> More food for thought on using git as a data store
> for an application:
>    http://joeyh.name/blog/entry/databranches/

I've don't understand why something similar to git wasn't invented years
before, as a container for office documents. Imagine if instead of
worrying about the XML encoding for italics, the "office document
standard wars" had given us a git-in-zipfile container for the document
data. Sharing and version control - solved. Recovery to an old version -
solved.

It strikes me that it would work well for electronic patient records too
(modulo access control). For the £12b my government flushed down the
drain on the last aborted effort, it doesn't seem so hard to write a
simple forms-based viewer that does git clone/git push as it's record
"open"/"close" operation, then have a central daemon that does merges
between geographically dispersed copies, particularly if you mandate
append-only editing (which you would want).

Instead we had some horrible nonsense with a 34-column SQL table.
"Disruptive technology" my ass... seems we're increasingly getting "more
of the same" from our "betters" these days (*cough* Gnome 3 *cough* ;o)