[linux-elitists] Ledger: org mode for double-entry bookkeeping

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu Dec 6 22:38:07 PST 2012

begin Teh Entar-Nick quotation of Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 01:54:01PM +0000:

> I'm curious what other tasks we can give the org-mode treatment like
> this!  I've seen time tracking systems that do this not as well.  I've
> seen calendar tools that didn't work so well either.  How could we do
> for other tasks what Ledger does so well for single-user accounting?

I like Joey's point about

  "If there's a GUI, it's probably web based. There's
  little trust in traditional toolkits having staying
  power, and the web is where the momentum is."

The fun part is that, given the right kind of back
end, you can have a command-line copy of your Modern
Unix Program interacting with a copy that lives on
the web.  So the happy shell+editor user can interact
with a user who's working on the web.  (This is what
Joey did with ikiwiki.)

The application of the future has a decent web
interface, for users who either have nothing but a
browser or whose tools you don't want to support
or change, as well as a powerful local interface
that uses the shell user's own $EDITOR and version
control.

(I have experimented with a simple calendar/todo tool
that stores entries in RFC822 mail messages with X
headers for the calendar metadata.  Works offline
using offlineimap.  Adding a web interface to make it
shareable for a small group of users would essentially
be an extended version of the "send email from a web
form" script, plus a script to rebuild a user's web
calendar from procmail and after an offlineimap run.)

More food for thought on using git as a data store
for an application:
  http://joeyh.name/blog/entry/databranches/

--
Don Marti                      +1-510-332-1587 (mobile)
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/        Alameda, California, USA
dmarti at zgp.org