[linux-elitists] Ledger: org mode for double-entry bookkeeping

Teh Entar-Nick nick at teh.entar.net
Thu Dec 6 05:54:01 PST 2012

Don Marti:
> Joey Hess has set up hledger: http://joeyh.name/blog/entry/hledger/
> Anyone else using one of the Ledger family?  Original, Haskell,
> Python?  If so, which one and how do you like it?

Not yet, but I have used this awk script in anger:

	http://c2.com/doc/expense/

It's from 1981, and it feels like it may have been part of the
inspiration for Ledger.

I've had the ledger-cli.org PDF docs open on a spare workspace for the
past couple of days, though.

I'm excited that something like Ledger has come about in this decade, as
it shows the true Unix spirit hasn't died out.  In particular, I'm
somewhat inspired by the way it is opinionated where it matters (ISO
dates, folks, and anyone who does otherwise is simply *wrong*) and
flexible where it really needs to (The arbitrary currency name thing is
one of the best features, especially coupled with the time-based
exchange rate listing).

I'm curious what other tasks we can give the org-mode treatment like
this!  I've seen time tracking systems that do this not as well.  I've
seen calendar tools that didn't work so well either.  How could we do
for other tasks what Ledger does so well for single-user accounting?

--
"These people program the way Victorians dress.
It takes two hours and three assistants to put on