[linux-elitists] Little Miss Moffitt

Nick Moffitt nick at teh.entar.net
Tue Apr 3 09:42:06 PDT 2012

Rick Moen:
> Quoting Marc MERLIN (marc at merlins.org):
> > I really would help to put a small signature "this is my real name,
> > please see http://.. ".
>
> Marc, I don't know about you, but I can imagine the experience of
> having a name that some refuse to believe is real might get your
> stubborn up, and become something of a badge of pride.

Perhaps people with oft-questioned names could wear some kind of badges
on their lapels containing a long-form birth certificate in a QR code!
I'm sure that Google would support this, given their fast-track process
for cancelling accounts with names that don't pass the commonality test
in Fargo or wherever.

Those of you who know me personally will know this already, but someone
I am very close to has just such an unlikely name.  Perhaps you could
also object to my last name because of the nursery rhyme.  Just do a
Web search for "Rick Moen" and "second grade" to find him shutting down
scores of talentless hecklers who'd encountered his name for the first
time.

A few lurkers on this list noted in IRC the other day that they honestly
didn't suspect that Marc's last name really was "Merlin" until he
started mocking Shlomi.

--
"It is wrong to think that the task of physics is to
find out how nature *is*.  Physics concerns what we can