[linux-elitists] Update on Getting Shlomi Fish's Emails Unbanned from vger.kernel.org (for submitting a kernel patch and getting help with git on the Better-SCM site)

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Tue Apr 3 08:57:11 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 10:49:26PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Marc MERLIN (marc at merlins.org):
>
> > My recommendation for that possibility stands then. Sorry to be blunt,
> > but the name does sound fake and childish to people not knowledgeable
> > with Jewish culture and knowledge other many factoids that Rick beats
> > many of us on.
>
> Eh, I just happen to know a lot of little things in a lot of areas of
> life, most of them utterly useless.  However, if you ever need to know
> where to get incredibly good Hungarian blintzes just off Rehov Dizengoff
> in Tel Aviv, call me.  ;->

That's what I meant :)
(but more seriously I've always known you as a repository of random, and
most often useful knowledge).

> Marc, I don't know about you, but I can imagine the experience of having
> a name that some refuse to believe is real might get your stubborn up,
> and become something of a badge of pride.  Nicknames and middle names
> can be a useful sideways step (though middle names exist only in some
> cultures and not others[1]).

Obviously I don't believe one has to change their name just so that it's
more culturally convenient to others, although my wife, her sister and
parents all just did that.
If my name were confusing to others, I'd be frustrated about it and
eventually state something in my signature about it to stop having to
repeat the same thing to everyone.

> of Governor Jim Hogg of Texas, including his very famous and very rich
> adult daughter, Ima Hogg.  Nobody laughed.  Not ever.

:)

> [1] Fascinating Wikipedia article:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_name

Funny thing is that since I come from a country where virtually everyone
has 2 middle names, making duplicate identities virtually non existent,
I'm dumbfounded by a country like the US with 300M people and people
happy with using a single middle name, and usually even just a single
initial.
Talk about asking for ID confusion trouble.

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/