[linux-elitists] Update on Getting Shlomi Fish's Emails Unbanned from vger.kernel.org (for submitting a kernel patch and getting help with git on the Better-SCM site)

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Tue Apr 3 01:52:30 PDT 2012

Hi all,

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 06:48:28 +0300
Muli Ben-Yehuda <MULI at il.ibm.com> wrote:

> > > I'm going to go on a limb, and assume that your parents aren't called
> > > Fish, and that they didn't call you Shlomi.
> >
> > The given name 'Shlomi' is a relatively rare Biblical name from the book
> > of Numbers aka Badamidbar, and is (obviously) derived from the word for
> > 'peace'.  You may have never run across it before in the USA or France,
> > but it's perfectly real nonetheless.  It's also sometimes used as a
> > diminutive for Shlomo (Solomon).
> >
> > 'Fish' is a somewhat common surname among Ashkenazic Jews, and is also a
> > relatively rare English surname.  (Not that you care, but, heaviest UK
> > concentration is in West Yorkshire and Cumbria counties, in the north of
> > England.)  One notes that Shlomi is from Israel.
>
> Rick, if I may congratulate you for a truly elitist reply.
>
> Marc, I have known Shlomi for over ten years in the real world through the
> local Israeli Linux community. That is, unfortunate as it may be, his
> perfectly normal real name.

First of all, thanks to Rick and Muli for informing the list before I had a
chance to. Shlomi Fish is indeed my real name, which might sound more normal to
Israeli and Hebrew-speaking ears than to foreigners.

I've written a little about my name on my homepage here:

http://www.shlomifish.org/meta/FAQ/#your_name

Namely, "Shlomi" means "My Shalom" or "Shalom-ful" or perhaps "The Shalom of
Jehuvah" (it loses the "a" due to a certain rule of vowel-shortening after the
movement of the stress in Hebrew, whose name I forgot.). "Shalom" is a Hebrew
word which has several related meanings including "well-being", "peace",
"harmony", and "welfare", not only "peace", as is sometimes believed. For
example, people might say that the State of Israel will do anything it can to
ensure the "shalom" (= "safety" or "well-being" in this case) of the hostages.

Someone else (a .us English speaker I think) had assumed that my name was some
kind of joke too, and, as a result, used some kind of weird addressing
instead of either "Hi Shlomi", or "Hi Mr. Fish". Some other people on a writers
list also believed I was female because my name ends with "i" (Since then I’ve
placed a small photograph of mine on every page of my home site, which
reduces such confusion.).

Fun.

An English friend of mine (who can become a little humorously playful
sometimes) has also nicknamed me "Slimy Fish", and has nicknamed our mutual
friend "Omer" as "Homer".

Regards,

	Shlomi "Slimy" Fish