[linux-elitists] Update on Getting Shlomi Fish's Emails Unbanned from vger.kernel.org (for submitting a kernel patch and getting help with git on the Better-SCM site)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 2 22:49:26 PDT 2012

Quoting Marc MERLIN (marc at merlins.org):

> My recommendation for that possibility stands then. Sorry to be blunt,
> but the name does sound fake and childish to people not knowledgeable
> with Jewish culture and knowledge other many factoids that Rick beats
> many of us on.

Eh, I just happen to know a lot of little things in a lot of areas of
life, most of them utterly useless.  However, if you ever need to know
where to get incredibly good Hungarian blintzes just off Rehov Dizengoff
in Tel Aviv, call me.  ;->

> I really would help to put a small signature "this is my real name,
> please see http://.. ".

Marc, I don't know about you, but I can imagine the experience of having
a name that some refuse to believe is real might get your stubborn up,
and become something of a badge of pride.  Nicknames and middle names
can be a useful sideways step (though middle names exist only in some
cultures and not others[1]).

Alternatively, one might aspire to a level of fame and influence at
which an odd name doesn't matter.  When my mother worked at
Rockefeller Foundation headquarters, the office was sometimes visited by
several members of the very important, philanthropically inclined family
of Governor Jim Hogg of Texas, including his very famous and very rich
adult daughter, Ima Hogg.  Nobody laughed.  Not ever.

[1] Fascinating Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_name
ObSoftware:  Even more fascinating Web rant about programmer
cluelessness concerning names:
http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/