[linux-elitists] Update on Getting Shlomi Fish's Emails Unbanned from vger.kernel.org (for submitting a kernel patch and getting help with git on the Better-SCM site)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 2 17:08:31 PDT 2012

Quoting Marc MERLIN (marc at merlins.org):

> I'm going to go on a limb, and assume that your parents aren't called
> Fish, and that they didn't call you Shlomi.

The given name 'Shlomi' is a relatively rare Biblical name from the book
of Numbers aka Badamidbar, and is (obviously) derived from the word for
'peace'.  You may have never run across it before in the USA or France,
but it's perfectly real nonetheless.  It's also sometimes used as a
diminutive for Shlomo (Solomon).

'Fish' is a somewhat common surname among Ashkenazic Jews, and is also a
relatively rare English surname.  (Not that you care, but, heaviest UK
concentration is in West Yorkshire and Cumbria counties, in the north of
England.)  One notes that Shlomi is from Israel.

I suspect that everyone's name is somewhere between peculiar and
hilarious in a number of common languages, and so am very slow to accuse
people with outlandish names of using fake ones -- and sympathetic
towards those so accused.  (My Uncle Reidar ducked the issue, going by
'Ray' when in the United States, just as my Aunt Bjorg went by 'Evie'.)

L'hitraot,
Rick M.
(not entirely clueless re: the Hebrew language, having spent time as a
kibbutz volunteer)