[linux-elitists] Update on Getting Shlomi Fish's Emails Unbanned from vger.kernel.org (for submitting a kernel patch and getting help with git on the Better-SCM site)

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Mon Apr 2 03:17:28 PDT 2012

ׁHi Greg,

thanks for your E-mail.

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 07:04:57 -0700
Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:36:45PM +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > Since then what happened was:
> >
> > 1. I registered the throwaway PickledIbex at gmail.com account, because I was not
> > sure that my other, more permanent addresses were also banned from sending to
> > the postmaster address at @vger.kernel.org, so I needed an unfiltered address.
> > ( Feel free to E-mail or spam me there, but I don't check it often, and I may
> > close it after its purpose has been served.).
>
> <snip>
>
> Any reason right there you didn't use that account to email your patch
> to lkml?  No need to subscribe, and you can put your "real" email
> address in the patch as the author (as the kernel documentation shows
> you how to), and then all would be good, right?

The short answer is that I did it because registering this address is intended
to get my other, more permanent addresses unbanned or at least put on probation,
and that I don't wish to evade the ban or have the vger.kernel.org postmasters
play whac-a-mole with throwaway webmail addresses that will be repeatedly banned
(due to obvious moral/ethical reasons).

The longer story is that after my address was banned I started
receiving a message that my address was "a not liked source" [sic] of E-mail
which I did not know what to make of it because it didn't tell me why that was
the case. On IRC, riel told me that he suspected that was because Israel was
at the time a big source of spam, so I tried with a different address. It took
me a while to understand that I was banned (in large part due to the fact
that the E-mail bounce message did not tell explicitly tell me that was the
case, and tell me what I can do (if I can) about it.). That was only after I
asked someone on IRC to post about a networking problem I ran into, to which
one of the vger.kernel.org postmasters posted a reply explicitly saying that I
was banned and that the person I asked should not proxy my messages in the
future.

So I'm not going to post to LKML (or other mailing lists hosted on
vger.kernel.org) because I do not wish to evade the ban, and this
may only result in one message getting through and the throwaway account
banned as well. I'd prefer a more permanent solution that won't involve
acting immorally/unethically/anti-netiquetically or require any more unnecessary
effort on the parties involved.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish